Monday, October 6, 2008

Things I have learned today

A picture from the box. One of the people who reads this blog is pictured here. Does that person recognize their self???? I'll be waiting.

A picture from art class. It's called Fit for Active Service from the 1916-17. I think the artist was saying the Russians would put anyone in even if they had to dig them up and declare them fit for duty. Surprisingly, I think it sort of fits today's military in this country too.

My son the daredevil.

Here he is again. He loves standing on this toy.


As always, it has been an adventure packed day. It started normally. Matthew and I went out to play and I checked that there wasn't any glue trap surprises. Nope, not a thing. I put him down for a nap and called to see if I could get a new car key cut from the vin #. Yes I could, but I'd have to come down and present registration and a driver's license. I didn't have the time so I called Phil to say I'd better meet him at the interstate and collect his key on his way by. I just stepped out of the shower to him calling to say I'd need to be there in 30 minutes. So I dried off, got the boy back up (no nap yet), got us in the car and met him. Turned around 1 minute later and came home. Laid the boy back down (15 minute nap in car), but he wasn't having any of it. We ate lunch and my dad called to say he was on his way to follow me to the dealership to drop the car off. Somewhere along the way Matthew finally fell asleep. I showed them all I knew and was on my way. (The rat tried to chew up my arm rest. GRRRR...) Once home again we all looked under the hood of the Green Streak. I discovered a new pack rat nest and that in this car there was actual wires chewed. Great. I think our repair bills will be sky high this month. So the car is driving, but it protests. It doesn't think much of reverse and it clunks into gear alarmingly. Hopefully I can make it work for the next couple of days until the 4-Runner is ready to go.

This evening I tackled more in the box of time warp. I actually made it through the box. I threw away alot of art therapy literature, all the notes I took in college, a physics paper from high school on lighting, my high school french workbook, love letters from my first boyfriend (I just can't seem to get rid of them, the more I throw away the more I find, it's been an annoying phenomena for years now), and my favorite: an email from November 18, 1998 listing the 99 ways to order a pizza. The top 15 are as follows:
1. If using a touch-tone, press random numbers while ordering. Ask the person taking the order to stop doing that.
32. Have your pizza "shaken, not stirred."
70. Start the conversation by reciting today's date and saying, "This may be my last entry."
13. Do not name the toppings you want. Rather, spell them out.
88. When they say "Will that be all?", snicker and say "We'll find out, won't we?"
3. Use CB lingo where applicable.
6. Tell the order taker a rival pizza place is on the other line and you're going with the lowest bidder.
17. Ask what the order taker is wearing.
24. Order 52 pepperoni slices prepared in a factual pattern as follows from an equation you are about to dictate. Ask if they need paper.
19. Say hello, act stunned for five seconds, then behave as if they called you.
52. Ask what their number is. Hang up, call them, and ask again.
57. Report a petty theft to the order taker.
63. Start the conversation with "My Call to (Pizza Place), Take 1, and...action!"
65. Ask about pizza maintenance and repair.
5. Terminate the call with, "Remember we never had this conversation."

I sincerely hope this illustrates to you all the right way to order pizza. Boy I know I've sure been doing it wrong for a long time. (I also know that I've been holding on to way to much junk for too many years!)

No comments: