Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Spring surprises

I love spring for all the surprises it gives. Today I decided that I had to get out and weed my flower bed so Phil didn't try and mow off any more of my sprouts. And low and behold I had lots of grape hyacinths that I didn't even know I had planted! I worked with a therapist at the hospital that had me come over last year and she weeded stuff out of her amazing flower beds for me to plant at my new house. Hyacinths must have been one of the things I got. All the daylilies and irises that I planted last year are springing forth. I planted 3 siberian irises today I ordered called Roaring Jelly. I thought the name was awesome, the price good, and the color beautiful. I can hardly wait to see it grow. Meanwhile one of my new geranium plants bloomed and it is a very pretty half rosy red half cream colored flower. I just love gardening in spring. During the heat of August not as much. Hopefully, either tonight or tomorrow, I'll get to plant all the irises that Phil's old captain's wife, Cindy gave me from when she thinned the irises in her yard. I believe alot of them are still in good shape. I'll find out.

Matthew has had a good time so far getting to bear crawl around the yard. He doesn't bear crawl much in the house, so I guess he didn't want to feel the grass on his knees or maybe he thinks that's the all-terain way to get around. Poor guy is fairly tired out, but he doesn't want to give in to sleep. He is in his swing, shaking his head, mumbling to himself, with his eyes half shut! His dad hasn't decided if he's keeping him while I go to work or if he's going to daycare. Currently I hear Phil beebopping around the yard on the mower. He didn't get it all mowed yesterday.

I also hear the sound of the saw cutting more of our roof. They were able to work yesterday. Phil helped them paint the rest of the dormers and trim around the roof so that they could continue with the roofing. We weren't sure how the weather would be today, but it's perfect. It started cloudy, but now it's warm, still, and sunny. Just gorgeous weather. I hope that they can get another 1/4th of the roof done today. Our weathervane is in and I can't wait to see it up. Phil and I have been talking about replacing the damaged window in the living room and all three in the dining room. But we can't replace the ones in the dining room until that section can be lifted up. Of course if the section was lifted so the windows could close properly, the windows in there might work better!

Phil was called in to see the commander today. Even though he is on leave they made him go in uniform. I don't know how that went yet, but I guess it's got something to do with the fact Phil has been pushing for more leave. Hopefully that went well. He is not optimistic that they are going to let him take vacation time to go to California anytime soon, but maybe. In any case, he'll be living in the apartment for about a month before I'm out for the summer and can join him. I'll maybe just stay for the summer and come back to our house for the next school year. We still haven't decided what we'll do. All I know is I can't plant a garden this year. Everything has to be able to take care of it's self.

No comments: