Sunday, April 20, 2008

Finally, tomorrow I think we can stay home...

3 days. 3 days of driving to the greater Kansas City area. We are so sick of driving up there. In a normal year I maybe get up there once or twice a year. Yesterday we went back and tried to look at a bigger apartment in the 1st apartment complex we looked at. They refused to show us anything saying the carpet hadn't been cleaned. We were a little steamed considering they promised if we drove back up they'd have the apartment ready to show. It made it very easy for us to scratch them off the short list we had! Then we went back to the third complex and actually got to see their apartments. We liked a basement one, but I was reluctant to sign a lease without seeing the houses. So we left and said we would be back today if the houses didn't looking promising. Well, I really screwed that up because the houses were worse then the previous houses. Well, considering we only went in 1 of the 6 houses, I should say that the neighborhoods were worse. The one we did go into was the very big Victorian we thought looked beautiful on the internet. And we were right, it was beautiful. But in need of some serious work that we wouldn't be able to afford to do, but wow. What a house. It actually had a butler's stairs that led to the third floor. Both the first and second floors had 14 foot ceilings. It was obvious that the people who built the house were very rich. It sits on a huge lot. The house surprisingly hadn't been stripped of the beautiful woodwork and fancy carved wood fireplaces. I really wish we had the time to fix it. I've never seen anything as cool as that house. In fact, now I'm kicking myself for not bringing my camera. I don't know if the agent would have let me take pictures, but I sure would have tried. So today we drove all the way back up to sign a lease on the basement apartment so Phil would have a place to stay. Now we just have to hope that the rental clearance goes through before he starts work at the end of the week. I have to say the agent that helped us was very good. It was in no way shape or form his fault we had such price limitations.

Meanwhile while the parents were exhausted from getting home at 10 on Friday, midnight on Saturday and being up by 6 or 7am Sat. and Sun., Matthew was having a great time hanging out with the grandparents Sat. and Sun. I think they probably spoil him real good and he's getting old enough to twist them very well around his little finger. Sorry Mom, but you know it's true! I was glad he could stay with them because as much time as we spent in the car this weekend, I think he'd have been real grumpy.

Well, I better go and get some rest. Tomorrow we have alot we need to get done around this house. Dormer windows we need to paint (couldn't today because of the wind, grrrr), dishes to do, boxes to pack, laundry. Sigh, it just never ends.

2 comments:

jen4music said...

I wish you were moving here instead. I would love for us to be in the same city again. At least it's only Olatha. I wanted to tell you that my brother is getting ready to sell his house in Overland Park. I don't really know the specificates but if you are interest I could get some info for you.

The author said...

I do too! That was actually the plan, but the military decided to switch Wichita to the Denver Battalion 1 week after he got assigned to the KC Battalion. I bet Brett could get alot more for his house then we can pay, but once they decide on a price shoot it my way just in case. Where are they going to move to?