Thursday, April 3, 2008

It went well

I just wanted to get on and let you all know that Matthew's surgery went well and he is now home resting. In fact this is the longest he has slept at one time since we brought him home from the hospital! Phil just looked at him and said, "I hope he sleeps tonight!" Me too. This is exactly the sort of thing that would make him go back to not sleeping at night. I have to say I wish I'd taken our camera to the hospital because he totally rocked his little infant sized hospital gown. He didn't care one bit that his little butt totally stuck out. Phil just reminded me he took a picture on his phone. He is attempting to email to me now. I can't get my dumb phone to send them out properly. It worked. Here it is. Matthew's last pre-surgical pic.

When the doctor came out he brought with him the source of the problem, rattling around in a specimen cup. It was the size of a kidney bean. Much bigger then I thought it would be. Luckily he did not ask if we wanted to keep it. Instead a lab somewhere is receiving it to study it and decide exactly what it is. Anyway, he had to go deep for it and it was wrapped around tissue and a gland so he had to take some time and care, but he got it out. Matthew has some small stitches I haven't seen yet since it's covered by a bigger bandage. We put ointment on it 2 times a day and he will take antibiotics 2 times a day for the next 10 days to make sure he doesn't develop post-op infections. He won't go back to daycare till Monday, if that, so he can heal. So now here we are all exhausted, we got up at 4:30 to be at the hospital by 6am. Thank goodness for our swing! Thank you Uncle Mickey and Aunt Shelly! He has been rocking in it since we got home. Swings are quite possibly the best baby invention ever. Of course our friend Audrey's boy (2 weeks older) never did like his swing so...I guess it depends on the baby.

1 comment:

jen4music said...

Oh I'm so happy everything went well. I hope he sleeps for you tonight as well. Knowing how I react to surgeries, he will sleep pretty well at least for 1 day. Let me know if you need anything. Love ya.