Friday, May 1, 2009

Happy May Day

I don't know what these iris will look like, of course. I was told by the lady that gave them to me that they were dark purple, but some of the buds look like they might be a rosy pinkish color. Could be wrong. Can't wait to see! They are my miracle bed. I really didn't expect them to do so well. She gave them to me right after Matthew was born and I was too tired to mess with them. So they sat in my garden shed until the next spring. I planted most that were sprouting, gave some to my mom and sat back. They really grew! Now 1 year later they are getting ready to bloom and some of the irises that are going on 3 years aren't looking like they want to at all!

New iries I planted today. They look so reed like compared to my others. I am wondering if they are a different type like Japanese or something. Since they came from an abandoned lot, there is no one to ask and they are probably pretty old, like the 50's or before, if I had to guess.

Another shot.

My egg with money in it. Thanks Connie! I loved the chocolate too.

If I could just get this thing to stay on...

Mom, I'm trying to turn it on so I can take your picture, just hang on.


Matthew is becoming more and more a natural mimic. This morning when my boss said, "Look at these" and kicked at a clump of poppies, Matthew kicked them too and said, "Look, these." Yesterday he practiced hard all day saying names of kids from the daycare. Nash, Shawn, Mal-Mal (short for Mallory). When I'd say, "what about (insert name)" he'd say, "Yeah." Yesterday he was also all about camera's. I would love to give him an old digital camera. That way he could play with it and if it broke, it'd be ok. It also did some thundering yesterday. Every time it thundered Matthew would swing around and in an startled voice say, "What's that?" I'd tell him it was thunder and he'd respond with the typical why. He has good days at daycare and not so good days. He thought Mother Goose rhymes were hilarious today. He has learned how to shut the baby gate, but luckily he still can't open it. He's a joy, he's a pill. And I can't imagine life without him anymore. What did I do with all my free time???

Today is May Day. The day of flowers and sunshine and May Poles. Well, not here, not today. It's very windy, cold, and gray. It looks like it will rain anytime now, but it hasn't yet. I dug the strange irises and planted them. I hope they are happy here. If anyone knows what they are I'd love to hear it. But there's more to this day then just May Day. It's the one year anniversary of rescuing Missy from the pound. It was bittersweet because it wasn't Peppermint, but we love our little Missy. So happy double day to our family!

And one more scary fact. Matthew has turned how to plug stuff in. If he can, he will attempt to plug stuff into the wall. I have most covered, but if he can pull the cord out of an used outlet, he will try to put it back in. So if he is at your house, beware. If he's busy it's probably trouble. He brought me my blow dryer this morning. He told me it was for his head. I said, "yes, do you want to dry your hair?" (He's hair was dry.) And yes he did because he was trying to plug it in. Yikes!

1 comment:

Auntie said...

It is hard to believe Matthew isn't even 2 yet. He does so many things and looks older than a lot of 2 yr.o's. Sounds as if the two of you are both learning things, each on your own track. Your collages look really good. I was really awed when my neighbor boy began imitating me, because I was showing him one way to live, and really wanted to set a good example!