Monday, May 11, 2009

Hansel and Gretzel revisited

This morning, while Matthew and I were eating breakfast, it never occurred to me to think of the wonderful story, Hansel and Gretzel. That is until I heard a noise that made me anxious. I had the feeling that wood of the house tasted delicious to the puppy again. And I'd be right. He was eating the corner of our window's sill. And he did a great job of it. This, of course, produced lots of hand waving and yelling, so I haven't seen him for awhile. But it made me think of the story. I've decided that I totally agree with Miranda on Sex and the City. She said once that the witch was totally misunderstood. Here she built her dream home and these brats came along and started eating her home. I have total empathy for the witch now. She was misunderstood and misrepresented. I have home, that I guess is my dream home, and I'm trying very hard to fix it up, just to have a brat dog decide that it's a mid morning/day/evening/after dinner mint for him. It's frustrating to no end. If we can't get the wood fixation under control, this family and the puppy will be parting ways. I will work with the flowers issues, but the house demolition is where I draw my line. If anyone has any suggestions on how to make the pup stop, please send them right away.

All the bottom of my porch posts look like this, or have less wood because he's yanked it out...

$70 a board, siding he's splintered.

The latest damage. Yep, I feel for the poor witch.

The irises did bloom this morning in the house.

Very pretty.

And you want to know how I slept? Well, awful, thanks for asking! Matthew decided to get up around 3:30am and not let me sleep till 4:30 and then back up at 6:30am and chattered until I gave up at 7:30am. So I got a couple hours of excellent sleep and then from 3ish on not good. I will be taking a nap here shortly.

Last night I forgot to say that Phil and Matthew didn't just get haircuts and gas Saturday. They also picked up roses for me. I was in the process of drying my hair, when I looked up to see that Matthew was presenting me with a bunch of roses nearly as big as him. He looked so sweet and cute. I hope I can remember that forever.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Are those iris the ones from the goblet? If so it looks like the BFG knocked off buds from two different plants! Could you tack some screen over the window sills and around the porch pillars until this teething problem is over? Maybe you could use the screens in the spring house? I'll help you put them up if I can. (Do you have enough screens to cover the entire first five feet of the house???)

Anonymous said...

Get some Kong toys: they are hard rubber (for the teething) with holes and a hollow center. This becomes an attractive "puzzle" for your busy canine baby when filled with treats: Scamp will have to work to get the goodies out. It will keep him occupied with a "positive" reward for his trouble. Also, there are non-toxic sprays that repel dogs since their sense of smell is very sensitive. The pet stores sell some and home-made recipes can be googled!