Saturday, October 2, 2010

We're off to see the Wizard


At least the Munchkins.

We went to OztoberFest, just so I could get my picture with 3 of the 5 last surviving original Munchins from The Wizard of Oz. Here is Margaret Pellegrini with "munchkins" right after they arrived. She was a flowerpot girl and I believe the one who told Dorothy to follow the yellow brick road as well. (She played several parts.)

Jerry Maren, the Lollipop Munchkin, with wife Elizabeth.

Wife of the late Clarence Swenson (a solider) and Karl Slover, which I believe was a trumpeter.

While waiting to meet them, we posed with the cast members. Matthew with my old boss, Christy.

Matthew and I with the witches. I always wanted to be Glenda, as a child, for Halloween.

Matthew and Melissa with another Glenda.

It was so thrilling to meet them.

I've loved the movie for as long as I can remember. We had to watch every year when it was played on national tv. Our first VHS tape was The Wizard of Oz 50th anniversary edition, because I just had to have it. (We finally got a VCR so I could watch it!)

Think about it, they are movie stars! I finally got to meet and touch and pose with 3 movie stars and they were charming.

Afterwards we went through the museum. Matthew with Melissa and Michael.

We saw so much stuff it was amazing. I loved seeing the illustrations, I think they are the originals, but don't quote me.

But the most fun was seeing my Wizard of Oz lunchbox behind the glass and then to realize the troll I've had for years, and thought was just a princess, was instead Glenda. I'm sooooo glad I didn't donate her to the thrift store now!

We had such a great time! I'm still so excited! And of course, now the whole family has the movie on so we can see the people we saw today on the silver screen. Ahhhh...

3 comments:

Mom said...

I'm so glad you got to go. The photos are lovely and the movie stars do indeed look charming, so nice and friendly.
It would have been so sad to recognize the troll after giving it away. Thank goodness you kept it!

Auntie said...

Wonderful that you got to meet them and tell them how much you loved/love them. I bet the original movie stars are simply delighted to see so many fans who still remember and come to say hello and pose with them.

Angela said...

You do some of the most fun and exciting things. It makes me wish I had chosen a different path in life but ............. I will live vicariously through you. :)