Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Holiday season

It has been a long holiday season. One that ended up overwhelming me. There just wasn't enough time to get stuff done!

It started with hiking, when there was a spare moment.


Matthew played outside in the warm weather.

Dec. 20th we got our first snowfall that stuck. A dusting, but it gave Matthew an excuse to use his Spiderman snow boots.

Christmas Eve day Matthew had a great time hanging out with his Auntie. He got 2 pairs of overalls from her and they have been a huge hit. He wore a pair to Christmas Eve service!

Auntie, Matthew, and I went to Christmas Eve brunch where my Grandmom lives. She has been having a really rough time since the stroke. Probably a combo of the stress of surgery and stroke back to back, cold turkeying off depression meds, dementia, and lots of new meds. As they try to figure out what meds work and are needed, we never know what kind of a day she'll be having. Luckily, she had a good day Christmas Eve.

I realized I never took 1 picture of Phil being home or Christmas. The part of me that craves having photographic memories is very sad, but the part of me that feels I miss out on memories by spending some much time behind the lens, doesn't. We had Phil for 5 blissful days. Matthew and I took him to the airport yesterday morning. I was worn out by Christmas Day, but I rallied. My Mom was sick with the flu Thursday night till Monday. We all got tons of lovely things this year. I still have Christmas packages to send out. My motto this Christmas is, "A day late, dollar short." Sigh. One of Matthew's favorite gifts is this track set. It is out a significant amount of time every day!

3 comments:

Shayne said...

That is a wonderful track set, and it will serve him well for years to come. Ours has been out for about six years, and I think it will be enjoyed for another year or so. Then I will pack it up in the attic. It's the only toy I have considered keeping from their childhood so far. Nothing else seems to equal its staying power and creativity.

Glad you made the most of your five days together.

Auntie said...

You had a nice selection of shots, tho a couple of Phil and Christmas would have been nice, too. Now that Matthew isn't making such lightening fast changes, maybe you can just do a snap or two of "occasions" and go back to "being there." (AND ask someone to take a photo of you and--) Thanks for the overalls shot!
Wood toys are really cool. They just feel different, and make nice soft clicking noises.

Kirsten said...

merry (belated) christmas to your family, as well! so glad you had some quality time with your hubby. definitely more important than pictures! :)