Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Cali part 2: Orange Co. and San Diego

If family hadn't taken photos for me, especially Pauline (thank you so much!) there would not be any photos from this part of the trip.

Day 8: After saying goodbye to Phil (he flew to TX), we took another plane ride back to LAX.  My cousin Susan, picked us up and we went to her apartment in Orange Co.  I'd never had the pleasure of meeting her, so it was fabulous!  We ate pizza and talked nonstop for 5 hours.  She is a wonderful person that I am proud to call my relative.  After that time passed too soon, we took an Amtrak train, for the first time ever, to Solana Beach.  My cousins Carmi and Pauline picked us up and took us to their house.  It was a long day!

 Day 9:  We got up and went to the beach with Pauline's grandkids, Skyler and Ariana.  We had such a good time playing in the water.  Matthew wore a wet suit and looked like a surfer boy.  And no one brought a camera!

 Ariana played all day with Matthew.  He had such a good time with her.  I believe they are 4th cousins once removed, maybe 3rd.

 They did alot of dot to dots and artwork.

 Skyler, Brenda (their mom), Ariana, and I.

 Pauline and I.  (Are you noticing a trend here?  I'm the jolly green giant!)

 Day 10:  I got up and took a hike up Torrey Pines with Pauline and her sister Mary.  Here is a photo of "Indian bathtub" rock.  Matthew stayed behind and "entertained" Carmi.

 Mary and I.  It's an amazingly beautiful hike and a real workout.

 When we got back Matthew and Carmi walked Zoe.  She is a delightful dog.

 Ariana built an elaborate racetrack for Matthew before she left, while he was asleep.  It was quite a surprise.

 Matthew loved this spyglass.

 And wanted Uncle Mickey to see his tattoo!

 Once showered, we went to Swamis Gardens.  It is a beautiful mediation spot.  Very lush.

 And right on the water.

 After the gardens, we took Matthew to the Rock Park.  He loved it!

 He had lots fun with others.  Unfortunately, he spun so much he made himself sick in the car, but it could have been worse.  Next we visited a local library that has a wonderful children's section.  Matthew and I borrowed 3 books and read them alot.

 Day 11:  The day before Matthew discovered the joys of having a stationary bike and burned a lot of calories.  (As if he needs too!)

 In the morning we went to Pauline and Mary's enormous gym with them and swam in the kids pool.

 Before we flew out, we visited the children's pool at La Jolla.

 And visited Pauline's rowing club.  Unfortunately, with traffic, we didn't get to visit the park Phil and I got married in at, but we could see Coronado Island.

We flew out late and got into KC around midnight.  We stopped at Auntie's for the night.

Day 12:  We were so glad to be home although we had so much fun where ever we were.  We were lucky enough to be able to spend some time with Auntie before we headed home.  

And that concludes our travel log.  Next travel plans: TX to spend a few weeks with the husband!


Mom said...

Thank you for posting the photo story of your trip. Your relatives certainly made sure that you had a wonderful time while you were there! And the scenery is beautiful and very different in appearance from here at home! What fun!

Anonymous said...

What she said. Thanks again!

Auntie said...

You must have had a fabulous vacation! Isn't it great that Phil really did get to go, too. Thank you for the great shots of you all, and of the exotic west coast scenery.

The author said...

Yes, we had a great time! Now we are in TX and I really need to go plug the camera battery into the charger so that we can take photos here too! I am glad Phil got to go. It would have been sad without him.

Anonymous said...

It was so wonderful to finally meet you & Matthew "in person" although I've known you both so well thru this blog! Matthew is an extra-special little guy :) & I was enchanted by him! As he walked into my apt, he said "What a nice home you have." (only 5 yrs old! lol!)
I so enjoyed talking & sharing with you, Anne, & time flew by!